Spanking among the Gypsies + Easter Spanking Customs
Posted by KFGauss 
Spanking among the Gypsies + Easter Spanking Customs
January 27, 2009 02:36PM
This brief documents suggests a whole world of spanking culture among the Roma or Gypsy people of Europe. I'm wondering if anyone know more about this or knows sources where these themes are expounded upon further:

Karl Friedrich Gauss

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2009 01:18PM by KFGauss.
Re: Spanking among the Gypsies
January 28, 2009 11:05PM
Is this about Gypsies, or Eastern-European Easter fertility rites?

Anyone know?

Karl Friedrich Gauss
avatar Re: Spanking among the Gypsies
January 29, 2009 12:35AM
I think this refers to the fascinating old Czech custom known as Spanking Monday. The tradition was that on Easter Monday the young men of the village would arm themselves with birches or switches and roam about seeking any unmarried girls unwise enough (or maybe kinky enough?) to venture out of doors. The young men were allowed to catch any girl they came across and birch her on her bare bottom.

The explanation always given (like one was needed?winking smiley) was that this derived from an ancient fertility rite. The Romans practiced something similar during the feast of Saturnalia.

I'm told that this charming custom is still extant in some of the remoter villages. Anyone feel like an Easter trip to the Czech Republic - purely in a spirit of scientific enquiry, of course?
January 29, 2009 01:05AM
From what I've heard, Phil, they don't even have to venture outdoors! A charming custom, I say.

Karl Friedrich Gauss
avatar Re: Spanking among the Gypsies
January 29, 2009 01:04PM
Here's some more info about the custom, from Wikipedia:

On Easter Monday, there is a slavic tradition of hitting girls and young ladies with woven willow switches (Czech: pomlázka; Slovak: korbáč) and dousing them with water.

Wet-bottom spankings too, it seems. Delightful!

And apparently the Latvians get in on the act as well:

In Latvia there is a tradition of hard spanking on Palm Sunday (called Pussy willow Sunday) morning. The spanker sneaks into the potential spankee's bedroom and wakes him or her up. The whipping is done with pussy willow branches or (rarely) birch. This ritual spanking is often applied to the bare buttocks. Usually young men catch girls or young women and order them to bend over for spanking. Spanking on the bare bottom was optional, but in some areas completely naked whipping with pussy willow branches has been done too. Sometimes spanking is done in early morning with aspen tree birch, while people are sleeping naked or in nightgown.

Great way to start the day!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2009 01:24PM by PhilK.
January 29, 2009 01:06PM
'Palm' Sunday, you say.

Karl Friedrich Gauss
January 29, 2009 07:36PM
Sorry to take this thread off the Czech theme and go back to the Gypsy one, but I remmeber reading quite a bit about Gypsy culture when I was in college.

They opperate throughout the world in many countries, paying no attention to the laws and mores of that country. They are a "nation" of peoples that actually have no country.

They opperate , in great deal, like the mafia, where there are loyalties and alliances and strange codes of honor. The oldest usually rules his family until a younger male opposes him and grabs the power, or the older male just gives it to his chosen successor.

Likewise, the women recognize the same hierarchy and it was not uncommon for even married women to submit to their Matriarch's punishing hand. I remember reading about a gypsy woman in a mountain region in Italy getting a very public strapping from her MILfor a perceived slight. Noone lifted a finger to save the poor young woman's bared arse.

More importantly, Gypsy men take it as a badge of honor to have mistresses. The wives tolerate this indiscretion, but if the mistress flaunts the situation and embarasses the wife, woe to the mistress's sorry backside. She will probably be jumped by a group of angry women and whipped senseless. Theirs is a simple justice, swift and severe. In a lifestyle where movement is almost a constant, it is the only effecient way.

Female rivals, in this society, are handled in a similar fashion. Pride is a great part of a gypsy, and to remove one's pride is a serious blow. Women rivals know this and capitalize by overpowering and thrashing a rival, like one would punish a naughty child. This loss of pride remains a secret, between the two, and the victor goes off with all the power, the vanquished lives with the fear of public embarassment. Often there is only one way to undo the slight, that is to repay the embarassment, but in public, and so it goes.

Finally, gypsy lifestyle is very much successful based on the fact that they keep to themselves and fly below the radar. Information about them is scarce as loyalty is so strong and few ever leave the gypsy lifestyle. So, most of their culture still remains shrouded in mystery, even today.

Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2009 07:37PM by fatherjim.
Re: Spanking among the Gypsies + Easter Spanking Customs
January 29, 2009 07:42PM
Fascinating research there JIm. Are there any books you'd recommend that elaborate on the Gypsy social culture?

Karl Friedrich Gauss
January 29, 2009 10:51PM
Dear KFG,

I'm sorry but I'd have to go back to my old college library to find my sources again. It's been over twenty (30?)years since I did this research and was only part of my fascination with cults and cult figures. As it was, I remember one of the books I read was from an actual gypsy man who had fallen out with his family. I came across it quite by accident as it was filed in the Religion section of our university's library and had nothing to do with gypsy religion.

This was before the days of the internet, however, and I might be able to do some research on line and find the one book again. I'll see what I can find.

Jim
April 06, 2012 01:35AM
As it's Easter, I found this playlist of youtube videos of Czech Easter spankings. Haven't watched them all, but there's some good ones amongst them (e.g. the water spankings and I also particularly liked the one in Groningen, where some presumably Dutch girls are initiated into the Czech tradition). Warning, some do employ horrible soundtracks.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF539815DB0A59FD6
April 06, 2012 02:23AM
i wonder what Good King Wenceslaus would have thought of that!smileys with beer
Re: Czech easter spankings
April 07, 2012 06:18PM
For more photos and drawings about the Czech Easter spanking tradition, go here (bottom of the page).

For spanking drawings about Easter in general, go here.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2012 06:41PM by zz.stercks.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login